Many times we have heard the term GUM SWELLING. Well, a new one is in town, not actually new. I have seen cases like this in Nigeria, owerri to be precise. Many things could lead to gum swelling, ranging from:
- Poor oral hygiene
- lack of vitamin C, which causes scurvy
- The use of certain drugs such as anticonvulsants (phenytoin a.ka. Dilantin) valproic acid, paganone, ,zerontin e.tc, immunosuppressants such as cyclosporine which is used to prevent organ transplant rejection, and calcium channel blockers such as Nifedipine, Diltiazem, felodipine, verapamile,
- Dental restorations
- Dental Appliances such as braces and removable appliances
- Hormonal contraceptives
- Plasma cell gingivitis
- Bening or malignant tumours
- Idiopathic enlargement
Now, let us take a look at one of them caused by pregnancy, poor oral hygiene and dentures
This lesion or growth is usually penduculated i.e has a stalk growing out from the gum close to the teeth. This growth can bleed on even the slightest touch. They are rich in blood supply.
It is caused by Chronic irritation caused by plaque and calculus, food materials, edges of dentures (artificial teeth).
1. Visit your dentist for thorough scaling and polishing (profession oral cleaning to eliminate the irritants)
2. Excision biopsy (total removal) should be performed by a well-trained dentist and sent to histopathology lab.
3. Chances of recurring is very high. So, always check up on your dentist especially if you are pregnant.
4. Never neglect your 6 monthly visit to your dentist for proper oral examination and cleaning.